By becoming a member of the Mountain Club of Uganda (MCU), I hereby agree to fully comply with the provisions of the Articles of Association as passed by the General Assembly and the below Terms and Conditions.
Safety Precaution and Liability Terms & Conditions
Although precautions will be taken to minimise the risk, any outdoor activities, such as but not limited to climbing, mountaineering, hiking, biking or cycling are still potentially dangerous activities. It is the responsibility of each participant to ensure his or her own safety. The Club does not take responsibility for the actions of its members and cannot be held accountable in the case of any incidents.
In accordance with the above statement, by becoming a member, I hereby declare that:
- I recognise that climbing, kayaking, mountaineering and other outdoor activities are with a danger of personal injury or death.
- I am aware of, and accept these risks.
- I am responsible for my own actions and involvement in MCU activities.
- I agree that neither the Mountain Club of Uganda nor any MCU member(s) shall be liable for any loss of life or injury to me or any other participant arising from their taking part in any MCU activity, other than that required by law.
- I understand that The Mountain Club of Uganda cannot accept any liability for any costs, claims, losses or liabilities whatsoever suffered by me or any other participant directly or indirectly as a result of taking part in any MCU activity.
- I am physically fit and I agree to disclose any information of any known medical conditions that may affect my personal safety, or the safety of others before each trip.
- I am aware that MCU activities are not insured, so for example Personal or Third-Party accident, medical or theft insurance is not included in MCU activities.
- I am responsible for my own personal insurance and to check that the insurance covers trip activities.
- I am aware that there is no mountain rescue service in Uganda, thus I must take great precaution when participating in MCU activities to ensure safety and a sensible contingency plan. I am aware of the limits of technology (i.e. mobile phone network coverage).
General Terms & Conditions
By becoming a member, I hereby declare that I agree to the below General Terms & Conditions:
- Membership is valid for one year from the date of signing up and then the membership needs to be renewed in following years to remain a member.
- Each participant is required to pay the annual membership fee, which covers an unlimited number of MCU over the year. The annual fee will be used by the Club to obtain or replace required equipment and gear used on trips. The fee does not cover trip expenses such as accommodation, transports or food.
- All fees are non-refundable and must be received by the start of the first MCU trip.
- Minimum age for unsupervised participation is 16 years. For under 18s parent/guardian consent is given by countersigning the Registration Form & completing the Medical & Consent Form.
- The Mountain Club of Uganda (MCU) Committee reserve the right to refuse participation to anyone at any time without having to disclose the reason.
- MCU expects all club members to act in a responsible, sensible and sensitive manner at all times. Many of the Club’s privileges arise from good relationships formed on the reputable name of the Club, thus it is important for the continuation of Club of activities all members act in this way.
- If any participant is deemed to be acting inappropriately or unsafe to himself or someone else, a Club Committee members or trip leader may immediately terminate their participation in the trip or event and forfeit all money paid and will have no right to have participate in another MCU trip.
- If any information provided is found to be false, participants risk losing their eligibility to be a participant on any MCU trip.
- If you cancel participation, there will be no refund payable.
- If cancellation of the trip occurs due to unusual or unforeseen circumstances beyond out of control such as a national emergency, natural disaster, fire, extreme bad weather, or other such events (acts of force majeure), then the MCU will advise participants as soon as it is reasonable to do so. There will be no refund payable.
- MCU reserves the right to make any reasonable changes to the program of activity so long as these do not affect to any material extent the nature & scope of the activity.
- Personal belongings are participants’ own responsibility; MCU does not accept liability for loss or damage to personal belongings.
- MCU is a platform for interested parties to meet and participate in outdoor trips and activities. It is not a tour guide company. Club members can provide advice on trip planning, mountaineering activities and locating equipment. It is each participant’s own responsibility to act or not to act upon any advice received and recommendations made. It is also each participant’s own responsibility to make their own arrangements and logistics when participating in an MCU trip.
- MCU may provide details to contact and hire people to help an activity, i.e. porters and guides. It is important to understand that any agreement is with the individual and not MCU. MCU can provide guide prices to be paid but these must be established on an individual basis. It is also important to recognise that in employing such persons, that an individual becomes responsible for that person. Guides and porters must be looked after and have the right equipment and supplies, i.e. food and shelter. These logistics must be agreed upon on a case-by case basis.
- MCU may use any photographs or videos taken of any MCU member during any MCU activity to publicise the event and the MCU (including posting on Facebook and the Club’s website).