- This event has passed.
Easter Trip to Mount Elgon
April 1 - April 5
Hey MCU friends!
It’s finally time to get some MCU trips started again!
To start off, we are planning a Mount Elgon Trip over Easter. There will be multiple hiking options for each fitness level. So, all are welcome.
Departure: Thursday, 1st April, leaving from Kampala in the afternoon (transport sharing tbd)
Return: Monday, 5th April (time depending on your driver/shared car)
Suggested sleeping site: https://www.homeoffriends.com/
Multiple options, depending on your budget.
Hiking Option 1 – 2 ½ days/2 nights (most direct & steepest way to the summit):
- Friday 7am start, first night at Mude Camp
- Saturday early morning climb to the peak and walk down to Sasa camp for the night
- Sunday noon back on the ground at Home of Friends with an evening campfire and storytelling with an elder from the community
Hiking Option 2 – 3 ½ days/3 nights (incl. Wagagai Peak and Tutum Cave):
Friday 7am start, first night at Mude Camp
- Saturday early morning climb to the peak, carry on to Wagagai Peak and Caldera Rim, spend the night at Mude Camp
- Sunday from Mude Camp to Tutum Cave (for those seeking extra adventure: camping in the cave is an option)
- Monday noon return to Home of Friends or Sipi village
Here is the itinerary for both hikes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hYdbEiHE2d5qrY_a3OdcTVgquNP1eRDe/view?usp=sharing
Option 3 – Day hikes (without Mt Elgon peak):
There are several Day-hike options around, organized by Home of Friends. Here are some links to the day hikes to get a taste of it:
There are also some cultural activities such as the Cave Experience or a cooking session with the Mama’s in another cave close to the Guesthouse.
We could also opt for some climbing on Monday around Sipi Falls before getting back to Kampala. Own equipment would be mandatory. More details folow in case anyone’s interested.
Please sign up here, if you are interested in joining the trip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ohl2TWsdWIrIj_Ooz2JxGK8uFPTTnEjj/view?usp=sharing
For any questions, please contact our trip coordinator Sabine: 0783071300